Imagine a world where you could do a good deed with the simple tap of a finger? Enter: The Hashtag.
From #Movember to the #icebucketchallenge and #nomakeupselfie, the hashtag has become a central platform for spreading awareness and raising money for health, poverty and other important social causes. Last week, for example, thousands of passionate Internet users came together to celebrate #GivingTuesday – a global day founded in 2012 to celebrate generosity.
In stark contrast from the excess consumerism that is Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday encourages families, communities, companies and other organizations to come together and give more during the holiday season.
On this day, celebrities and well-known philanthropists alike tweeted #GivingTuesday and affiliated hashtags, stirring a frenzy of social buzz with more than 440,000 tweets mentioning the cause in just 24 hours.
But the day isn’t just for personal philanthropy and large organizations; Small-medium sized businesses play a pivotal role in engaging local communities in the conversation.
Here are just a few examples of how you can leverage social media and various marketing tactics to get your business involved in #GivingTuesday and other philanthropic campaigns next year:
- Hang window clings or display flyers in your store with the #GivingTuesday logo
- Include information about the #GivingTuesday campaign in your company newsletter
- Post that you are a proud supporter of #GivingTuesday on your Website
- Donate a percentage of sales to a favorite nonprofit or community matching fund pool in exchange for marketing and recognition
- Give coupons to customers who make donations
- Sponsor an internal campaign where employees vote for their favorite charities and donate a gift to the winner
- Host a day of giving (like a coat drive) where employees give second-hand items to a charity
- Encourage employees to volunteer for a local nonprofit organization
- Socialize any and all of these actions on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Remember, people like to follow those that do good. And while the next #GivingTuesday is nearly 365 days away, that doesn’t mean you can’t use these marketing tips to amplify your other charitable contributions and celebrate generosity throughout the year.
For more ideas and examples of how you can get involved, read the full list here.
Be good and happy giving!